February Progress Update (Q1)
Two months have passed, and it is time for another progress update. Think I’m posting late, since we’re several days into March already? Maybe, but in order to get back on track, I decided to count week nine as part of February. So yeah, the shortest month in the whole year gets to be five weeks in this progress update. Which may sound odd, but it makes perfect sense in my head, I swear.
I set a goal of spending minimum 1 hour a week editing TAO. With that in mind, I had this dream that I might just be able to finish editing this draft of TAO by the end of the first quarter of 2018. Which I have to admit I never actually thought would happen, cause I remember how long it usually takes me to revise a draft. Safe to say, I went and surprised myself. Cause guess what, I’m done! So, are you wondering how much editing I managed to get done in February, in order to finish already? Let’s have a look at the numbers.
Week 5 – 1 hour
Week 6 – 3 hours 50 minutes
Week 7 – 2 hours 40 minutes
Week 8 – 4 hours
Week 9 – 1 hour 10 minutes
So for five weeks, that means I should have edited a total of five hours. Adding my actual numbers, and we get that I spend 12 hours and 40 minutes editing TAO in February. Which is just amazing!
Note that I was finished editing TAO in week eight, so the numbers for week nine is actually me editing The Answer at the X. I’m looking to publish that on Amazon as well, and figured I may as well go through it once more before I did. So for March I’ll keep my 1 hour a week goal, even though I am finished with TAO. But it’ll be for writing in general. So writing or editing stories in the Legacy Collection.
Worldbuilding for the Fantasy Series
This was the one where I had gotten a bit confused in January, and added any and all kinds of worldbuilding. I didn’t do that in February, so let’s see what that did to the numbers.
Week 5 – 30 minutes
Week 6 – 30 minutes
Week 7 – 0 minutes
Week 8 – 0 minutes
Week 9 – 0 minutes
For January I was ahead of schedule, but looking at those numbers, it’s pretty clear I’m falling behind. In February I have spent a grand total of one hour worldbuilding for the Fantasy Series. Which means I am currently one and a half hours behind. Or, one hour and 20 minutes behind if I take into account the 10 minutes ahead of schedule I was in January. I guess I need to do better in March if I want to reach the Q1 goal.
The Rough Outline for Unleashed
I’ve actually made some progress here. The good news is that I now know most of what’s going to happen. I’m not going to say I’m done, because there are a few things that I want to change, so I’ll have to spend March looking at that.
The bad news is that this is now a three book series. At least. I swear, my brain needs to give it a rest already. But as I’m writing down the outline, my brain keeps coming up with cool new stuff it wants to write about, and I’m not strong enough to say no to it. I guess I’ll just have to go with it, and see what happens in the end.
So that’s how February went. The month felt really long for some reason. For the first time in a long time, I really feel like I’m making progress. TAO has even been sent out to a new test reader, and the feedback arrived yesterday, but I haven’t had the time to look over it properly yet. I know there is still a lot I need to work on for the story, and some of it has been pointed out to me, but I’m going to wait until the next quarter to go through it properly. I want to wait with that until I am ready to start the next revision round, and I still need a bit more feedback before I want to so that.
The query I’m going to start writing is in the books for March. I haven’t forgotten, and now that the TAO revisions are done, I think my brain in finally ready to start working on this.
Looking at the numbers, it’s safe to say, worldbuilding hasn’t been my first priority. I am struggling with exhaustion, for reasons my doctor still can’t figure out (though it’s starting to look like depression actually). So I really do need to prioritize what I can spend my time on, as I really can only do so much each day. Which sucks, but there’s also nothing I can do about it. I try to spend 15 minutes here and 15 minutes there, as focusing on anything for much longer than that really takes more energy than I have to spare right now. But it seems to be working, so I’ll just keep doing what I have been doing, and we’ll see in a month how that worked out for me!